0300 303 4417

Online Advice Search

The government have ended the laws about self-isolating. This means you don't legally have to self-isolate, but the government still recommend you self-isolate if you test positive for coronavirus.

If you’re able to work, you don’t have the right to get benefits just because you’re self-isolating or you’ve got coronavirus. It’s worth speaking to your employer - they might agree to let you take paid sick leave.

If you’re too ill to work, you might be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from your employer if you have one - check if you can get SSP. If you can’t get SSP you might be able to get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) from the government - check if you can get ESA.

If the NHS told you to self-isolate before 24 February 2022

You might be able to get a self-isolation payment of £500 from your local council if both of the following apply:

  • you’re employed or self-employed
  • you’ve lost income because you can’t work from home

You can get a self-isolation payment at the same time as SSP or ESA.

You must apply for the payment within 42 days of when you were told to self-isolate. Check if you can get a self-isolation payment on GOV.UK.

You can also find out what to do if you need to be off work to care for someone.

If you’re a care worker in Wales 

You can apply to get your full pay while you can’t work because you’re self-isolating. This is called the ‘statutory sick pay enhancement scheme’.

You can’t apply to get your full pay if you’re also applying for a self-isolation payment from your local council. You have to decide which one to apply to for each time you self-isolate.

Talk to your employer to find out how to apply to the statutory sick pay enhancement scheme. You can find out more about the statutory sick pay enhancement scheme on the Welsh government website.

If you're struggling to pay your bills

If you're struggling to pay for food, find out how to get help from a food bank. If you have children, check if they can get free school meals.

You can check what other help you can get if you can't pay your bills. This includes things like your mortgage, energy bills, council tax or court fines.

You might also be able to get other benefits - for example, if you’re a carer or have a long-term health condition. If you’re not sure which benefits to apply for, you can talk to an adviser.

Online Advice is provided by; copyright © 2022 Citizens Advice