0300 303 4417

Online Advice Search

It might be against the law if someone treats you unfairly or differently because of who you are, such as being disabled or being a woman. If it is, you can complain or take them to court.

The main law that covers discrimination in housing is the Equality Act 2010 - Part 4 is about housing. It covers you when you’re looking for a place to live or living somewhere.

If you’re being evicted, you might also be able to use your discrimination rights to help defend the eviction in court.

Discrimination has a specific meaning in the law - not all problems will be against the law, but there are still things you can do to solve them.

There are a few steps to follow before you decide what action you can take. The steps will help you apply the law to your situation - they don't include examples of every kind of discrimination problem.

The first step is to check if you’re protected by the Equality Act 2010.

Online Advice is provided by; copyright © 2021 Citizens Advice